He looked for damage that night but couldn’t find anything wrong. Checking his fence the following morning the 70-year-old producer discovered 11 cows and 8 calves had been electrocuted.
Only four calves survived. The others had been huddled under a tree in the middle of the field to avoid the sun and the flies.
Morgan told the Daily Gleaner that he and his wife were ”’sick to our stomach all day.’”
He estimated the cattle, that weren’t insured, were worth $25,000.
By noon Aug. 4 they were buried.
Morgan had another 25 head in a different pasture that were not harmed.