“Forests play a valuable role in our environment, our economy and our way of life,” Webster said. “National Forest Week helps to remind us that caring for our forests will improve soil conservation, protect watersheds, improve air quality, and protect wildlife habitat for today and for future generations.”
Forests cover approximately 45 per cent of PEI. Unlike most of Canada, 88% of the Island’s forest land is owned and managed by small woodlot owners. The remaining 12% is public forest land that is managed with an emphasis on goals that benefit society. These include the protection of special ecological sites, outdoor education, long-term forest research, high-value timber products and for recreational activities such as skiing, hiking, hunting and angling. Special roadside signs mark the location of public forest lands and they can also be found in the Public Land Atlas or online at www.gov.pe.ca/gis.
National Forest Week is celebrated September 23-29. The video is available on the provincial government’s website at www.gov.pe.ca/nfw2012