For 125 years, scientists with AAFC have been conducting innovative research to create new opportunities for farmers. Farm Field Day provides a great chance to learn about the agriculture industry and about the fascinating research taking place.
There will be lots of activities that will entertain all ages. Visitors can:
• Check out 4-H calf showmanship and cattle show in action
• Learn about farm animals
• Take a tractor tour of the research grounds
• Check out our farm/research equipment
• Visit agricultural displays
• Enjoy activities for children; face painting, balloons, rides and more
Visitors will also be able to view AAFC research displays and talk to the scientists.
Among the projects underway this year that our scientists are working on:
• Research on drainage and irrigation systems to better manage water resources.
• Research using conventional and laboratory-based breeding technologies to develop berry varieties with higher antioxidant levels and yields for commercial production.
• Evaluating natural, non-chemical alternatives for pest control such as crop rotations, fencing and crop covers to repel pests.
• Research on production methods and soil resources for crops such as silage corn grown in cool climates.
• Research on the development of new production systems for berries and enabling crop production diversity.
Admission is free and lots of free parking on site!
The Atlantic Cool Climate Crop Research Centre is located at 308 Brookfield Road, St. John’s, NL. For more information call (709) 772-0461.